Thursday, September 23, 2010

Book Review: Mona And Other Tales, by Reinaldo Arenas

Mona and Other TalesMona and Other Tales by Reinaldo Arenas

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


This is a work of stories and other pieces of short fiction, much of which appeared to be experimental, or so it seemed to me because it resembled a bad nightmare. I’m not fond of reading ten or twenty pages and when I’m done I just shake my head and say, “What the F***?” In all fairness though, I did find one story, “Mona,” to be very engaging and thoroughly kept my disposition to incredulity aux abois. I know that Arenas is supposed to be one of the Latin American greats (and they made a movie about his life), but I guess I’ll leave the experts to their precincts, and go search out my copy Ring Lardner short stories.



View all my reviews

No comments: