Sunday, April 27, 2014

Compelling Faces in Art - Charles Scott Wilkin, Collage.



Collage (from the French verb “coller,” meaning “to glue” or “to stick”), as an art form and technique, has often served as a correlation with the pace and discontinuity of the modern world. By affixing unrelated materials, the collage introduces the possibility of allusion to everyday events in the very fabric of the work. 

However you feel about it, there is no question that it revolutionized modern art, with an audacious intermingling of high and low culture. 

Here we have a work by Charles Scott Wilkin. According to his Artist Statement (on his web page): “Fundamentally my work investigates the innate struggle between cause and effect. Derived primarily from the study of headlines, sounds bites and idle conversations my assemblages attempt to transpose these disjointed remnants of media overload and targeted consumption into tangible yet uncertain analogies.”

Personally, I like what Damien Hirst said: “I have titles floating around in my head; I have sculptures floating around in my head. It's like a collage.” This is what it is like to be a writer. All these thoughts and images floating around in one’s imagination. It is like a hall of mirrors. 

And this particular face, reminds me of something that Anaïs Nin once said: “It is my secrecy which makes you unhappy, my evasions, my silences. And so I have found a solution. Whenever you get desperate with my mysteries, my ambiguities, here is a set of Chinese puzzle boxes. You have always said that I was myself a Chinese puzzle box. When you are in the mood and I baffle your love of confidences, your love of openness, your love of sharing experiences, then open one of the boxes. And in it you will find a story, a story about me and my life. Do you like this idea? Do you think it will help us to live together?”

No comments: